The UAE places education at the cornerstone of Vision 2021. The Ministry of Education (MOE) and its strategic partners have laid out a strong strategy to harness the national human capital’s full potential by maximizing participation in high-quality education, encouraging entrepreneurship, and nurturing public and private sector leaders. The 2016 merger between the Ministry of Education and Higher Education has enabled the UAE to focus on equity and quality from kindergarten to higher education to fill the gap between academic requirements
and labour market demands. MOE is accelerating progress towards the SDGs by infusing Information & Communication Technologies (ICT) (such as Artificial Intelligence) in the education system through a smart learning program and a specialized data centre.
Policies and Initiatives
- The Early Childhood Policy (2018) targets children from birth until the age of 8 and calls for the establishment of a national framework with a comprehensive and integrated approach for the care and learning of children
- The Inclusive Education Policy Framework (2018) defines an Emirati school model focused on providing quality education from birth through its five tracks (Specialization track, General/Academic track, Professional track, Advanced track and Professional Advanced track).
- Quality as measured by students’ learning outcomes: Although recent international assessment results (TIMSS and PISA) are showing improvements
- Teacher preparation and professional development: Increased quality of teachers (with a shift from a supply-driven to a demand-driven focus of all professional development programs) to ensure that teachers adopt teaching and learning methodologies and assessment practices that reflect the intent of the curriculum, the need of students, and system expectations for effective teaching
- Clear, consistent and sustainable SDG 4 Monitoring Framework at a global level: Although many efforts are under way to develop a holistic monitoring framework for SDG 4, it is still a global challenge to finalize all components of a sound monitoring framework including operationalization of certain targets, development of indicators, standards and tools to match the ambitions of SDG 4.