Reducing social inequality and ensuring social integration is key to achieving stability and harmony in society and is part of UAE’s pledge on ‘leaving no one behind’. Inclusion of vulnerable categories like People of Determination, Senior Citizens, Widows, Divorcees and Families in Distress are at the heart of UAE’s Social Policies and Strategies. The UAE gives an importance to people with special needs, known as ‘the people of determination’. The Ministry of Community Development (MOCD) provides them with special services to ensure they receive equal education opportunities, and vocational training.
Policies and Initiatives
- Launch of the National Family Policy (2018) which aims to empower the Emirati family to achieve sustainable social development. The policy focuses on providing health care, education, housing, financial and family stability, human rights, security and safety, and expanding access to social services
- Launch of the National Policy for Senior Citizens (2018) which aims to improve the quality of social services and the well-being of the individual aged 60 and above, covering health care, community outreach and active life, investment of energies and civic participation, infrastructure and transport, financial stability, security and safety and quality of future life
- Launch of the National Policy to Empower People of Determination (2017) which aims to create a different understanding of empowering people with disabilities and enables them to play a proactive role in the UAE’s development
- Launch of the Wadeema Law (2016) on children’s rights, which lays out the legal rights of minors such as access to health services, education, essential services without discrimination. The law also protects minors against physical and emotional abuse.
- Provision of education opportunities to support and accelerate social inclusion and support families of people of determination
- The accurate diagnosis of cases as well as protection from abuse
- Developing welfare & rehabilitation centers to support the social inclusion of people of determination.